Monday, November 23, 2009

Home-Ec 101

I am making a plug for a great blog I discovered over the past year. This blog is written and maintained by Heather Solos of Charleston, SC. Heather is a trained chef who left the restuarant world behind several years ago to become a stay-at-home mom to two boys.
I discovered this blog when I googled "homekeeping." I was looking for an answer about cleaning a type of fabric that got stained by my sewing machine. Yes, I can sew (basic stuff) and yes, the advice worked. I also liked Heather's writing style so I bookmarked the site and kept returning!
One interesting thing about the blog is Heather's section on Holiday planning and her step-by-step recipes which have pictures. During November she has featured a Thanksgiving Countdown
which has suggested schedules for cleaning and cooking. In her cooking section she does a great Thanksgiving meal that is easy to follow. Heather's blog is actually entitiled, "Home-Ec 101-What you Wish your Mama Taught You. Many of us may have had little home ec classes in school or may have never been taught how to cook things like turkeys or homemade mashed potatoes. If you did learn these things at home, Heather has other stuff that may appeal to you. She has five main topic posts which are labeled: "Cook It" , "Clean It", "Fix It", "Wash It", and "Read It." She also prints a weekly menu idea guide. The address is home-ec101.com. Check it out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment